Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
It is impossible to completely eliminate the chances of a fire breaking out on your Stillwater property. Though you can take safety precautions, the best you can do is to be prepared for a fire. The most important concern is always the safety of you and others on your property. Once the firefighters have put out the fire, you can put your trust in our SERVPRO of Stillwater & Guthrie team to take care of all the fire cleanup and restoration needs!
Take a minute to review our Fire Damage Tips down below to learn more about what you can do after a fire!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (405) 332-2122
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.